Friday, April 6, 2007

Anne Marie and the Aubrac


I promised to tell you all about my savior, Anne Marie: I met her in the cathedral at Le Puy and have been with her since: She is a 64 yr old French retired businesswoman from Paris: I thought I hit the jackpot--that we would be having long leisurely lunches and fancy dinners on a regular basis. Then she started telling me about all her exploits like 6 day ultramarathon runs. She told me about climbing Mont Blanc in August and passing out on top and almost losing both toes to frostbite and having to be helicoptered off. Turns out she likes to have things relatively austere so we have been cooking all our own food and taking it very easy on the wine.

UNTIL we met Evart the retired Dutch banker who loves the good life. He has us making 4 course meals in the gites every night regardless of facilities. We did lamb roast one night and a nice pasta dish last night. I contributed sliced tomato with onion and tuna. But A M is rebelling and we are only having soup and bread and cheese tonight: Somehow I am losing weight AND eating the lion's share of the food so what is there to complain about?

Two days ago we had snow flurries all day: Yesterday it was fog in the morning and glorious sun in PM. Today it was all sun and fantastic: The flowers birds; and tress are all going wild: The way is still very hilly but just a delight: We did 18 miles today with a lot of uphill: Tomorrow is worse--we are doing a push to get to Conques for Easter high mass.

No comments: