Thursday, March 29, 2007

Houston, I think we have a problem

THIS SHOULD BE THE THIRD POSTING.....

Ah, Paris in the springtime

I decided to stay overnight in the city of lights. The Seine, lovely cafes, historic streets and places, strolling lovers... Yes; there is that;

But I spent a leisurely afternoon in the baggage receiving area of British Airways at Charles de Gaulle. And I am spending the night in a cozy modern hotel overlooking a construction site not far fro, the airport.

Yes; BA completely lost my pack. They are not sure if it even got to Heathrow; though it did get out of New York. Since I do not have a cell phone or a place of residence, they cannot forward the bag ("on the Chemin de St Jacques" is not adequate). I cannot start a claim until 24 hrs after arrival and I will probably have to send in a claim to customer service in NYC. So it looks like if the pack is not found, I am out some 1000 to 1500 dollars in replacement costs.

Even my jacket was in the pack, along with toothbrush, clothing; camera, sleeping bag and my walking sandals. I do not think I will get a penny from the office here. While the thought of a Parisian shopping spree does have some appeal, it would also mean a trip into Paris, finding an outfitting store as well as a camera shop, and get to Gare de Lyon. The only silver lining is that I remember this really neat bookstore near the Bastille that had some nice postcards.

NOTE: EXPECT TYPOS; THEE FRENCH KEYBOARD IS DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT.
ESPECIALLY POSITION OF A,Q, W, M, and all the punctuation marks.

So I will have a dismal dinner in the Ibis Hotel tonight and dream of rabbit at my favorite restaurant, Monsieur Lapin in Monteparnasse.

Hopefully, all of this will be resolved tomorrow morning one way or another. I will try not to shout out the F word like I did this morning (when they could find no trace of my bag). Maybe a simple merde will do.

Well it could always be worse; though I am not sure how baring cataclysm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Merde" works for me! Sorry about your misfortune!

Jorge Haas Filho said...

Hi Dan! Thats really bad! But This is your camino and only people who did once know that is something you have to deal (in an happy way if possible). Remember Silvio and the stopry about the robbery? Go ahead my friend and keep writing in your blog.

Gail said...

Hey Dan, You get us all excited and looking forward to reading about your adventures but ..... it's been a week since you wrote. Please keep us posted.