Saturday, April 14, 2007

Friday the 13th Deep Merde



Still going on strong. Yesterday was a bit of a downer. We took a wrong turn out of Vivaire and went 6-7 miles out of our way. Everyone was in really FOUL moods. Evard blamed Anne Marie and kept up an incessant rant for the rest of the time I was with him. ("French women. They wont' admit when they are wrong. Never trust them. Never trust any women. I blame myself. I knew better but let myself be talked out of it." On so on.) I saw this most wonderful chateau which I must have whenever I get the 4 or 5 million euros to buy it. I wonder if they have a lottery.

Then rain in the afternoon which did not really do anything for the horrid humidity. All in all it was a bruising 24 or more miles. The last one is downhill at a 60 degree incline. Prior to that was about 4 miles of dry shrub land with nothing around.




The youth hostel in Cahors where I am is a smelly ratty affair but actually a nice change of pace. Today we do an easy 12 miles and sleep with sisters in a Carmelite convent. [Turns out it was a FORMER Carmelite convent.]

Anne Marie and Pierre left us today. I still may meet her in Spain. She is taking a train to Condom, doing the last part of the French route then coming back to Cahors to walk a bit with her friend to Condom, then going back to St. Jean and walking Spain all the way to Santiago.

Weather holding up, just the drizzles. Still a lot of heat and humidity but as you can see, lots of spring flowers.

No comments: