Thursday, April 26, 2007

FRENCH PARATROOPERS ATTACK PILGRIM


AIRE SUR L'ADOUR, FRANCE

NO? THESE AREN'T THE PARATROOPERS? THEY ARE THE NEW SET OF FRENCH LADIES I GET TO SLEEP WITH TONIGHT ALL ALONE IN A DESERTED GITE OUTSIDE THE CITY.....

How do these things happen to me?

Anyway I was out walking normally today, segueing from Bruce Springsteen to Harry Chapin none to soon, moving between wooded paths, vineyards, and big fields. Minding my own business. There was a big field above me to my left and I heard a big tractor combine coming my way. A real big one....really big. Coming up over the hill right at me. Suddenly over the crest comes this French military helicopter just right over me. I almost did a big merde. I was out in the open and no where to run for cover. My rendition of THUNDER ROAD I admit was pretty awful and I was struggling to get the melody of CAT IN THE CRADLE but being pecked off by a band of french paratroopers was a little excessive I thought.

Well, it flew off a little ways and doubled back right to me again. Now I was really scared. I figured that there was a terrorist stalking the countryside (how reassuring) or that George Bush pulled another boner. I guess they got their jollies because they left me alone after that. In other circumstances I would very much welcome French paratroopers.


Here I am with Alex, note his crucifix shaped walking staff!!!!!! I was hoping that he would be a worthy successor to Jorge and Joseph, my former walking companions from last year. But I don't think that will work out. He is wedded to a group he has been with since Le Puy and those ties are hard to break. They only speak French. So it is me and my songbook. Why didn't I bring some Patsy Cline?

The only other exciting thing today was at a farm I passed. Half the chickens had gotten out of their yard and were very upset. I tried to shoo them back in but they just clucked stupidly at the hole in the wire fence. There were an old man and woman and a younger man in the yard looking at a piece of old machinery. I wanted to alert them in my limited French. So I yelled "Pardon, pardon" until they looked up. Then I kept yelling "Les Poulets, les poulets," while I sort of flapped my arms like I was trying to fly. Lord, you would think that I was the French David Letterman by their reaction. The younger man, a Jean Paul Belmondo look a like (from a distance) in black Tee and with cigarette hanging from his lips bellowed out a laughing and haughty bit of doggerel. Did they honestly think I had never seen chickens before? Oh well. This is what passes for excitement on the chemin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dan do you get world news or is that un-camino? Hard to believe you are one thind done! Nothing has happend here - or so it seems. Well they did repave 29th street in front of outr house. Many cars were towed because they didn't believe or understand the signs. It wasn't as exciting as it sounds. Not like the helicopter. I read where most everyone got blisters (I mean in the camino)? or was that just in the middle ages?
In two weeks are going on modern day version of the camino. 35,00 people going 40 miles through the city in one day on bikes-the 5 borough bike trip. Doesn't sound very spiritual though, does it? But it is probably more efficent with about the same total energy expended in both caminos. If I knew how many were on your camino I could figue it out.
Also, Spring is here! So many people holding hands.

I've forgotten some username or password to allow me to send this as andy H So I'm going with anonymous this time.