Monday, May 28, 2007

REPEAT OSCAR WINNER



LOOK LATER FOR PHOTOS WHEN I CAN DOWNLOAD

Yes, another stunning triumph yesterday. I was chosen to do the reading on Pentecost Sunday at a pilgrim wedding in a little town of Rabanal, high up in the mountains. While my first award winning achievement was in the medieval city of Conques on Easter Sunday in a fabulous Romanesque jewel of a cathedral, last night´s repeat was in a simple village church undergoing restoration in a mountain town. Two pilgrims tied the knot. It was really quite moving--he was diagnosed with terminal leukemia 3 years ago, had treatment, then did the camino and is still surviving.

I must say, in all modesty, that my interpretation in English of Letters to the Ephesians 4, 3-6, was far superior to those in Spanish, French, and German. What I cannot understand is that after the service when I went outside and waited for my accolades, everyone was teary eyed and moved about the wedding and NO ONE congratulated me on my performance. Weren´t they listening? What is the use, I must tell you.

I wonder how I can finagle a star part in the pilgrim benediction at Santiago. The church is not immune to financial incentives. I wonder if they take Mastercharge in order to let me swing the botufeminco, the largest incense burner in the world. THAT would be a final, wonderful end to the long, long walk.

202 km to go. Today we climbed to the highest part, Cruz de Fero. I did this in wind and snow flurries. Yes, you are reading this years account, not last year when we also had snow flurries. Almost June and I freeze my little a-- off going over the mountain.

I get to share a little room of 4 beds (2 bunks) with 2 Italians and a Croatian tonight. That is some reward, eh? People are getting antsy. I intend to do 5 days of about 40, get in on Saturday night, do all my compestella crap on Sunday and then RELAX. We shall see.

I am off, I have to help my little Emanuele (not Big) with the spaghetti carbonara. Ciao

2 comments:

Jorge Haas Filho said...

Dan, what are you going to do after arriving in Santiago? Its just a couple more days to get there... I would like to be doing the same...
hugs, Jorge

Anonymous said...

just how "little" is Emmanuele?